ATTENTION: CRIME ALERT – Washington University School of Medicine
Date/Time: 02-04-2020 4:27 am
Incident Related Information:
Protective Services is providing you this Crime Alert regarding a robbery attempt today, Feb. 4, in the Duncan Central Garage, 4452 Duncan Ave.
At about 4:27 a.m., a black male, about 20-30 years of age, 5’6” tall and slightly built, wearing a dark-colored “hoodie” and ski mask, approached a female in the garage and demanded her money. The robber did not display a weapon or indicate he had one. After the victim replied she had no money, the robber demanded her purse. As the victim was handing over her purse, the robber’s accomplices drove up. The robber got in the car without taking the victim’s purse. The victim, a Barnes-Jewish Hospital (BJH) employee, was not physically harmed.
A review of security camera video footage from the garage revealed the car looked to be a dark-colored Toyota Camry, about 2016, with dark windows. The car had a rear license plate (number unknown) but no front plate. The car exited the garage and proceeded east on Duncan, then north on S. Newstead.
The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department is investigating this incident with the support of BJH Public Safety and Protective Services. Also, BJH Public Safety will temporarily increase its early-morning presence in the garages by beginning its daily bike patrols at 4:00 a.m.
If you see an individual who fits this description, do not confront him. If you see this subject or this car, please call Protective Services immediately at 314-362-4357. Additionally, here are actions you can take to keep yourself safer from robberies:
1. There is safety in numbers, so walk with others or in a group.
2. Keep to well-populated areas.
3. Do not stop to talk to panhandlers or other strangers.
4. If a robber demands your property, comply with him or her.
5. If a subject attempts to abduct you, try to flee or defend yourself.
6. Take advantage of Protective Services’ secure transportation programs, including our Security Escort Rides Program and Afterhours Neighborhood Shuttle Program.