Instrument & Machine Team
The Instrument & Machine Team at Washington University School of Medicine is a fully-equipped machine shop and fabrication facility. It provides complete services in the design, fabrication and repair of parts, instruments and equipment.
The shop serves all Washington University departments as well as off-campus customers not affiliated with the University.
Instrument & Machine Team
The Instrument & Machine Team provides complete services in the design and fabrication of precision instruments, lab equipment, surgical instruments or devices, prototype equipment, and microscope repair and refurbishing as well as the repair of lab equipment to meet the needs of each individual lab. It also is readily available to assist you in equipment repair, circuit design, instrument modifications or interfacing a computer to your existing laboratory equipment. A range of technical design, construction, repair and programming experience is available to facilitate the proper functioning of your laboratory equipment
The shop is staffed by highly skilled machinists that can work from formal blueprints, sketches, or verbal descriptions. The shop is capable of working with all type of materials ranging from plastics to exotic metals. To arrange a tour or consultation, call 314-362-6186.
- Precision milling, turning, drilling, honing, flat grinding, abrasive blasting
- Modern welding facility with equipment for plasma arc, tungsten inert gas, metal inert gas and spot welding, in addition to a pantograph-controlled plasma torch for dimension-controlled cutting of metal parts
- Precision water jet material cutting
- Complete sheet metal fabrication
- Precision plastic fabrication, including bonding, heat forming, casting, polishing and welding
- 4 CNC Milling Machines and 1 CNC Lathe
- CAD/CAM software capabilities, include drawing of parts, importing of files from Solid Works, Auto Cad, Inventor, Solid Edge, Para Solid, Iges, Alpha 1, and Power Shape file formats to aide in the programing of parts to be machined, and the ability to generate G code to run our CNC machines
Work is performed to the customer’s specifications at a competitive price. Customers are charged a quoted amount or billed for time and materials.
The Instrument Machine Shop is located at 4566 Scott Avenue (McDonnell Science) on the Washington University School of Medicine campus.
Equipped to handle nearly any material, this 2800-square-foot facility maintains a large inventory of metal and plastic stocks, fasteners, tooling, and mechanical and electrical components to expedite completion of customer orders.
For customer convenience, pickup and delivery services are available.
Machine Shop Services
The shop is staffed by highly skilled, experienced machinists who offer their expertise to repair or modify customers existing equipment, or design and fabricate an original device to meet individual needs. The machinists can work from customers verbal descriptions, sketches or formal blueprints. The shop’s work ranges from fabrication of small precision metal and plastic parts to design and fabrication of a wide variety of scientific instruments. The shop designs and fabricates safety platforms around equipment, ladders, and barriers. Other services include engraving, instillation and moving of equipment, and microscope repair and refurbishing.
To reach the Instrument & Machine Shop, please call 314-362-6186.
Examples of the Shop’s Work:
- artificial heart valve fatigue testing machines
- fixtures for materials testing
- I-beam stress test samples
- classroom tables
- electrically, mechanically, and hydraulically-controlled testing devices
- distilled column components
- customized pipetting instruments